Friday, January 21, 2011

It's the simple things that make us smile

For a month or so now, I've noticed Johnathan pick up a toy and put it on an elevated surface to examine it, rather than examine it while on the floor. "That's neat," I thought, "he's starting to use his imagination." Last night I was amazed to observe my son playing a new game. He picked up one of his stacking cups, drop it behind the plexiglass we have protecting our electronics, and retrieve it again.  I watched Johnathan play this 'game' without interruption or distraction for almost five minutes! He then got curious and dropped the cup behind the cardboard, which protects the contents under my desk.  Johnathan heard the cup hit the floor, looked down, but could see where the cup dropped to.  He tried to peer over the cardboard wall, but he just isn't quite tall enough to look down behind it. Then in vain he tried to reach over the 'wall' for the cup.  I explained to him that the cup fell down too far for him to reach, so I would help him retrieve it.  He was happy enough to drop the cup over the cardboard wall a few more times before realizing it was much more fun to watch where the cup as it tumbles behind the clear plexiglass.  


He is so happy with the simple things!

Of course, now that Johnathan is exploring so well, my husband and I are going to have to figure out new ways to keep our fancy toys safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment